Yelp reveals food and beverage trends for 2022
With just over three weeks into the New Year, retailers are looking for items that are popular with consumers to give people what they want. With that in mind, Yelp provided an overview of the restaurant trends retailers need to know by 2022.
The Review Platform reports that dining out will look back to find their future by reinventing classic drinks, finding new versions of comfort foods, and embracing how a year of working from home has changed dining habits. . In order to predict trends for an entire year, Yelp’s data science team analyzed millions of reviews to find words and phrases that increased significantly between 2020 and 2021 in food. Finally, he sat down with Yelp’s trend expert Tara Lewis to figure out what to watch out for for the coming year.
Here’s what to look for in the food, drink and industry in 2022, according to Yelp:
- Croffle (up 1505%) – A croissant-waffle hybrid, croffle is the latest South Korean treat to hit the plates.
- Egg bread (up 457%) – In 2020, many consumers spent time baking their own bread, but in the coming year consumers will be returning to their local bakeries to purchase loaves of bread with eggs, like brioche and challah.
- Macadamia Pancakes (Up 613%) – Macadamia Pancakes are bringing the flavors of Hawaii, a popular travel destination in 2021, to tables no matter where in the world you dine.
- Malasada (up 130%) – This year, this popular Hawaiian fried Portuguese dessert is set to shake up the dessert scene.
- Blonde Pizza (up 953%) – In 2021, Detroit-style pizza reigned supreme, and in 2022, blonde pizza, often referred to as white pizza, will reign supreme. This tomato-free pizza offers a fresh alternative to traditional pizza choices.
- Pizza Cones (up 51%) – Pizza cones take the typical structure of pizza slices and turn it into a delicious hand-held treat, filling the inside with toppings of your choice.
- Calic bread (up 1.269%) – If you love garlic, cheese, and sourdough bread, then calic bread, this viral Korean culinary trend, is a culinary fantasy come true.
Negronis (up 49%), beer thefts (up 68%) and espresso martinis (up 114%) are all in fashion.
- Searches for pet-friendly restaurants are up 114%. Yelpers are also looking for awesome outdoor seating and sidewalk cafes to dine with their puppies, as searches for outdoor seating have increased by 50%. As cities embrace al fresco dining and decide to make it permanent, expect diners and restaurants to turn to pet-friendly experiences in 2022.
- Consumers continue to embrace working from home and working at their local coffee shop for a change of scenery. Searches for cafes to work in increased 444% compared to the same period last year.
- Diners are no longer tied to the traditional 9 am-5pm office hours, resulting in a shift to traditional meal times. Searches for “Good for brunch” and “Good for late night” increased 73% and 74% respectively. Likewise, searches for “open now” have increased by 50% as people embrace spontaneity in their dining plans.
- After a year of take-out and curbside pickup, expect consumers to return enthusiastically to restaurant dining in 2022. Restaurant reservation searches are up 134%, and listing searches are up 134% Waiting lines, like Yelp Waitlist, are up 82%, suggesting that consumers are once again making plans for dining out without sacrificing convenience. Waiting lists and digital reservations help consumers minimize wait times in restaurants to get to a meal earlier.
- Ghost kitchens (also known as virtual restaurants) flourished during the pandemic, with food delivery services opening well above pre-pandemic levels. Ghost Kitchens searches have increased 325%, and Yelp’s new Virtual Kitchens attribute helps consumers discover great local-only delivery concepts.